Efficiency Toolkit for the NHS
Download our PDF leaflet here
At Skills Training UK we go further in fully understanding what it is that our employer clients want to achieve from their training. We work as their partner in delivering on that vision, developing stronger employees who work well as individuals and as part of a team.
Why Skills Training UK?
- We are a market leader in the field of employee development and have designed the Efficiency Toolkit for the NHS to support the quality improvement goals which NHS hospitals are working to achieve.
- Our success is built on delivering proven results for public and private sector employers. Our training helps to empower staff to achieve increases in efficiency and cost savings.
- All our Trainers are highly skilled to deliver this bespoke apprenticeship training which is based on the sought after Business Improvement Techniques widely embraced by service and manufacturing companies.
What is the NHS Efficiency Toolkit?
- A continuous improvement training programme for staff who do not have a degree level qualification.
- Training which puts patients at the heart of your NHS workplace.
- Connecting staff led ideas with your priorities to deliver improvements in the quality of care for patients.
The benefits - bringing continuous improvement to your NHS
- Employees learn how to identify and make small improvements which can make a BIG difference to efficiency and help reduce costs.
- Staff feel valued, helping improve morale and job satisfaction, while your organisation builds capacity and capability in quality improvement.
- A better patient experience.
What to expect
- All sessions can be timed conveniently around changing shift patterns.
- We can re-arrange sessions to avoid busy periods or unanticipated events.
- During their training employees work towards National Vocational Qualifications at Level 2 (Intermediate) and we also offer a progression route to Level 3 (Advanced) training.
- One-on-one sessions at any stage of the training can be arranged for individuals who cannot make a group session due to work conflicts.
- Our learning materials are of a high quality and are based around the learning needs of the staff.
- Maths and English assessment and training is included where required.
Continuous improvement theory and knowledge (months 1 - 6)
During six, half-day sessions (approx. one per month) employees learn key theories and develop their knowledge of continuous improvement techniques. We use a suitable meeting room or space on site or can arrange this off site if preferred. Classroom sessions incorporate practical activities.
Statutory regulations and organisational safety requirements
- Health & Safety in the workplace
- Workplace accidents and emergency procedures
- Manual handling
- Applying good housekeeping and safe working practice to maintain an effective environment.
Effective Team Working
- Principles of establishing productive working relationships
- Dynamics of team working and creating effective working relationships
- Use of information in working relationships
- Communicating in the workplace.
Workplace Organisation techniques
- Principles and benefits
- The 5 key steps
- Auditing techniques
- Foundation for other improvement activities.
Continuous Improvement Techniques (Kaizen)
- Principles of continuous improvement deployment.
- Identification and elimination of waste
- Benchmarking the process
- Applying continuous improvement principles
- Key performance indicating techniques
- Sustaining improvements in the workplace.
Contributing to the development of visual management systems
- Principles and benefits of visual management systems
- Visual management systems in the workplace.
Onsite projects (months 7 - 12)
The second half of the training programme involves learners identifying and tackling three workplace related projects on Quality, Cost and Delivery. These are undertaken in teams and directly address a gap or inefficiency the learners identify within their areas and processes. The Kaizen techniques are used, with solutions often resulting in cost savings or quality improvements.
This takes place in the workplace and includes:
- Evaluation of performance
- Presenting evidence of the 3 Kaizen projects on Quality, Cost and Delivery
- Online and written assessments
- Project reports and observation reports which are collated by our Trainer Assessors.
Each employee develops a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates they can perform at the level described. Skills Training UK’s Apprenticeship frameworks adhere to the National Occupational Standards set by SEMTA for the engineering and advanced manufacturing sectors.