Financial Controller (Wembley, London)
Click here to download this job description in full.
Job Title: Financial Controller
Location: Head Office, Wembley, London
Tenure: Full time, Permanent
Reports to: Director of Finance and Corporate Services
Closing date: 14th May 2017
Applications will be accepted by curriculum vitae (CV) with cover letter explaining why you feel you are suitable for the position. Please email all applications to email@example.com.
Skills Training UK is a national skills training provider, offering an innovative and joined-up approach to business and economic development and social inclusion. We work with employers to develop skilled and productive employees whilst creating employment opportunities for people in the communities where we work.
We are currently recruiting for a Financial Controller. The ideal candidate will have experience of managing the financial accounting and reporting of the company through strong financial discipline.
Purpose of role:
This is a new role created in response to the changing training landscape, with the growth opportunity offered by the introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy in April 2017. The Financial Controller will provide vital support in a 2IC capacity to the Director of Finance and Corporate Services in managing the finance team.
The post-holder will provide detailed analysis and commentary on financial reports in order to add value, challenge and assist in the delivery of the company’s financial performance. This is an operational role and will require a hands-on approach to supporting the development of the Finance function.
- Providing detailed progress management and oversight of the work of other members of the Finance team (e.g. balance sheets, pre-payment status reports and accruals), before carrying out detailed analysis and assessment of these reports
- Presenting detailed analysis reports, including on MI data and business unit performance, and offering insightful, value-added commentary on potential issues and subsequent solutions
- Management of and reporting on the fixed asset register
- Supporting on the overall accounting cycle and preparation of financial statements
- Supporting with the credit control function, and taking a firm, yet constructive stance as needed when working with relevant external stakeholders
- Applying Skills Training UK systems and procedures effectively to ensure high accuracy and quality of data and information
- Thinking creatively, challenging the norms, and constructively challenging those around you (including those more senior) to ensure continuous improvement and commercial astuteness
- Ensure the proper assessment, management and mitigation of risk e.g. carrying out risk assessment for capturing new revenue streams
- Mentoring and coaching team members as needed
- Supporting (from a financial perspective) on other corporate services as required e.g. the IT function as it supports financial processes
- Overseeing the production of the monthly management accounts and adding value via analysis, highlighting KPIs and trends, etc
- Regular monitoring procedures to support current contracts and future growth of the business, providing comprehensive management information and KPI's.
- Provide the lead in the production and development of management/ financial accounting and reporting
- Leading the cash forecasting and management accounts processes for the business
- Overseeing the review of Balance Sheet positions, liaising closely with other management teams to gain clarity and accuracy of data being presented
- Providing tracking of all key risks and judgmental areas impacting profit and cash performance
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA), with 2+ years PQE, or would consider PQ or QBE
Knowledge and experience:
- Experience and a general understanding of the further education, skills or training sector, particularly of apprenticeships and/or traineeships provision
- Previous experience working within a commercial environment with a high volume of transactions
- Experience analysing and reporting on MI data, offering meaningful insight
- An understanding of and track record in risk management
- Experience of credit control function
- Previous experience of the Maytas learning management system
- Knowledge of specific education funding streams – EFS,SFA, ESF
- Experience developing an MI pack which covers commercial and productivity measures
- An ability and willingness to work flexibly and collaboratively within a small Finance team
- Ambitious, confident and comfortable dealing with all levels of management, including the Board
- Enthusiastic with a willingness to be hands-on as required
- Confident expressing opinions in a constructive manner, especially when raising potential concerns
- Highly organised, with an ability to proactively manage their responsibilities and prioritise workload
- Demonstrable strength of character and resilient, and able to work effectively with colleagues at all levels of the business
- Excellent Excel and Sage skills, also including knowledge of accounting for subscriptions deferred revenue
- Methodical and organised
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to manage and prioritise tasks
Equality of opportunity:
Skills Training UK is fully committed to the principle and promotion of equal opportunities for all and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination, direct or indirect. All employees are expected to actively support the development, dissemination and implementation of this aim and related policies and programmes.
Skills Training UK wishes to ensure that it complies with the requirements of the Equality Act. If you are a disabled person please ensure that we know what you need so that we can make reasonable adjustments to help you succeed.
Health and safety:
Skills Training UK is committed to the health, safety and welfare of its employees and customers. Health & Safety should form an integral part of normal working practices and all employees are expected to recognise their responsibilities under the Company’s Health & Safety policy.
Skills Training UK is committed, and all employees are expected to work proactively to secure continuous quality improvement and achievement of the highest possible standards.
Appointment will be subject to a probationary period of six months in the first instance in the case of new staff to Skills Training UK.
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check:
For positions involving working with children and/or vulnerable adults, the successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure check through the confidential process administered by the Disclosure and Barring Service. A conviction may not exclude candidates, but will be considered as part of the recruitment process.« Back to job list