- Apprenticeship Levy Information
- Levy Paying Employers
- Training for SMEs
- Levy FAQ
- Apprenticeship Programmes
- Why choose Skills Training UK?
- Case Studies
- Apprenticeship Training Videos
- Use it OR lose it
Wembley Stadium winning with Apprenticeshipsread more
Efficiencies in production aided by BIT apprentices at Lindabread more
Infrastructure Technician Level 3
At Skills Training UK we go further in fully understanding what it is that our employer clients want to achieve from their training.
We work as your partner to deliver that vision, developing stronger employees who work well as individuals and as part of a team.
This apprenticeship is designed for individuals who support both internal and external customers in the use of technology by using tools to problem solve and troubleshoot routine and non-routine problems. They will be responsible for setting people up on systems and provide support when they need it, rectifying issues to maintain the organisation’s productivity.
Typical job roles: Help Desk Technician, First or Second Line Support, IT Infrastructure Technician, Network Support
The learner must have the knowledge to be able to carry out (as a minimum) the list below:
- Respond to both common and non-routine problems using testing methodologies and troubleshooting. Analyse problems by selecting the digital appropriate tools and techniques and obtain the relevant logistical support as required
- Effectively operate a range of mobile devices and securely add them to a network in accordance with the organisation’s policies and procedures
- Optimise the performance of hardware, software and network systems and services in line with business requirements
- Record, analyse and communicate data at the appropriate level using the organisation’s standard tools and processes
- Work both independently and as part of a team to ensure all workloads are effectively managed to keep the IT functionality of users and the organisation at optimum levels, whilst following the organisation’s standard procedures
- Securely operate across all platforms and areas of responsibilities in line with organisational guidance and legislation
The employer must be prepared to provide the learner with the opportunity to carry out work and be part of projects which will enable the learner to produce substantial evidence towards their qualification. In order to ensure the successful progression of the learner, we request that employers participate in joint reviews of the learner’s progress at regular intervals throughout the apprenticeship. This will help ensure continued and positive progress through the apprenticeship. It will also provide the opportunity to discuss and agree how any issues are to be resolved and how additional stretching and challenging activities can be built in.
It will be determined and agreed between the employer and Skills Training UK, however, it is likely to include five GCSEs (especially English, Maths and a Science or Technology subject), a Level 2 apprenticeship or other relevant qualification/s and experience; or an aptitude test with a focus on IT skills. Maths and English qualifications must also be held; minimum accepted levels include: Grade D GCSE or Level 1 Functional Skills.
Module 1: Networking and Architecture
Module 2: Mobile and Operating Systems
Module 3: Cloud Services
Module 4: Coding and Logic
Module 5: Business Processes
Within this apprenticeship, learners must achieve a minimum of one internationally recognised vendor or professional qualification. The vendor qualifications directly cross reference against the Ofqual-regulated Knowledge Modules (see above) and as such the completion of a vendor qualification then exempts the learner from the corresponding knowledge module.
MTA Network Fundamentals
MTA Mobility and Devices Fundamentals
MTA Cloud Fundamentals
MTA Software Development Fundamentals
Additional vendor qualifications may be available.
Functional Skills (English and Maths)
The Learner must achieve Level 2 English and Maths.
The duration of this apprenticeship is typically 16 months. Please note that the last 3 months of the apprenticeship are allocated for the independent End Point Assessment.
Training and Support from Skills Training UK
During the apprenticeship, the learner will have a dedicated Skills Training UK trainer-assessor who will visit them within the workplace at least once every month to support their learning, development of competency and generation of evidence.
This will also be supported between visits by off-site information, advice, guidance, academic progress and technical competence support.
The trainer-assessor will work with the learner and the employer to ensure that all learning needs are being met for both parties to ensure successful progression against all elements of the apprenticeship. The knowledge modules and vendor qualifications will require formal teaching sessions which may take place within an appropriate area within the workplace or off-site.
Independent End Point Assessment
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, the learner needs to pass an End Point Assessment. This is an independent assessment which has several stages:
- A portfolio – this is a collection of evidence from real work projects which have been completed during the apprenticeship
- A project – learners will undertake a business-related project, within a controlled environment (away from the day to day workplace), typically over the period of three days
- An employer reference – this is usually carried out via a face to face or skype call with an assessor from the end point assessment body
- A learner interview – this is carried out via a face to face or skype call with an assessor from the end point assessment body, where questioning will be carried out around the contents of the portfolio and the project in order to verify the learner’s knowledge and competence
The assessor from the end point assessment body will then decide whether to award successful apprentices with a pass, a merit or a distinction.
This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the register of IT technicians confirming SFIA Level 3 professional competence. Those completing the apprenticeship are eligible to apply for registration.