Efficiencies in production aided by BIT apprentices at Lindabread more
Apprenticeships in Management support work of The Bristol Port Companyread more
Supply Chain Warehouse Operative Level 2
At Skills Training UK we go further in fully understanding what it is that our employer clients
want to achieve from their training.
|Download this page in PDF leaflet style|
We work as your partner to deliver that vision, developing stronger employees who work well as individuals and as part of a team.
Who is the Supply Chain Warehouse Operative for?
This apprenticeship is for warehouse operatives who could be working in a variety of warehouse environments in private, public or third sector organisations of all sizes. Relevant employers include specialist supply chain organisations and non-supply chain organisations.
They will have a passion of meeting customers’ expectations by providing a quality service that encourages repeat business.
They will be using safely a range of equipment, machinery and vehicles, as relevant to their role and setting. This could include mechanical racking systems, materials handling equipment (MHE) or fork lift trucks.
Work activities will include taking deliveries, checking for damaged/missing items, storing goods, moving stock by various methods, picking/packing orders, loading goods for dispatch, maintaining stock records and documentation, and cleaning.
An employer must be prepared to provide the learner with the opportunity to carry out work and be part of projects which will enable the learner to produce substantial evidence towards their qualification.
In order to ensure the successful progression of the learner we request that employers participate in joint reviews of the learner’s progress at regular intervals throughout the apprenticeship. This ensures continued and positive progress throughout the apprenticeship. It will also provide the opportunity to discuss and agree how any issues are to be resolved and how additional stretching and challenging activities can be built in.
The apprenticeship will typically take a minimum of 12 months and an Independent End Point Assessment must be completed in order to pass.
Training and Support from Skills Training UK
During the apprenticeship the learner will have a dedicated trainer-assessor who will visit them within the workplace at least once per month in order to support their learning and development. They will also be supported between
visits by off-site information, advice, guidance, academic progress and technical competence support. The trainer-assessor will work with the learner and the employer to ensure that all learning needs are being met in order to ensure successful progression against all elements of the apprenticeship.
Apprentices without Level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level and take the test for Level 2 English and maths prior to taking the Independent End Point Assessment.
Requirements: Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
This includes the following elements:
- Understand and use safe driving and/or operating techniques as trained, relating to MHE (e.g. counterbalance/reach trucks, powered pallet trucks, ride on pallet trucks)
- Adhering to safe practice when working at heights
- Steps to take to minimise the effect their work (and the wider industry) has on the environment
- Using packing materials efficiently to reduce waste and costs
- Safe use of equipment and machinery, such as MHE, vehicle and delivery systems
- Where to find instructions/guidance
- Use of warehouse systems and processes relating to packaging, moving and receiving stock to facilitate the safe handling of goods and an effective and efficient service to customers
- Basic IT applications and other systems to ensure the safe and efficient processing of goods
- Relevant regulation and legislation governing the supply chain industry and the consequences of not adhering to legal guidelines
- Effective communication with customers that store goods with the company and colleagues in line with situation and organisational style/culture
- Structure of the industry
- The importance of delivering excellent customer service to customers and colleagues
- Vision, objectives and brand of the organisation
- Proposed and actual changes to systems, processes and technology used in the industry
- How their role can affect their health
Skills and Ability
- Operate and handle equipment safely and efficiently as required for their role
- Manoeuvring vehicles in restricted places
- Safely use and position vehicle fitted equipment such as mirror requirements
- Comply with appropriate rules, regulations and processes for safely and efficiently moving, handling, packing and unpacking different items, both manually and using relevant equipment
- Work individually and as part of a team to safely move and handle objects
- Maintain a high level of housekeeping and manage waste effectively
- Check for damaged or missing items as appropriate
- Take responsibility for maintaining health, safety and security of people at all times
- Select, prepare and use packaging materials appropriate to the job efficiently and in a way which reduces waste, costs and environmental impact
- Promote the values of the organisation
- Communicate effectively with customers and colleagues to identify and meet their needs
- Work effectively in a warehousing team, including when under pressure, and to agreed deadlines
- Demonstrate integrity, credibility, honesty, positivity and personal drive
- Take ownership for own performance and training
- Show personal commitment to minimising the effect of work activities on the environment
- Adapt to and embrace the use of relevant technology, systems and equipment
Independent End Point Assessment
To successfully complete the apprenticeship, the learner needs to pass an End Point Assessment. This assessment is an independent assessment which has several stages:
- A portfolio of evidence and achievements
- A project
- An employer reference
- A learner interview
The assessor from the end point assessment body will then decide whether to award successful apprentices with a pass, a merit or a distinction.